Friday, April 6, 2012


Martin City Brewing Company

So, one day I was flipping through the coupons from Val-Pack and came across one for Martin City Brewing Company (martincitybrewingcompany.com).  My husband and I are always on the lookout for new places to go for date night, and like to support locally-owned businesses.  We decided to give this one a try since it’s pretty close to our house in Leawood (it’s just east of Suburban Lawn and Garden at 500 E 135th Street, Kansas City, MO 64145).  Not knowing what to expect, I have to say we were delightfully surprised.  It has great atmosphere, and is one of those places that you feel comfortable in right away.  The staff was friendly, and while it’s certainly a brewpub (they have about 14 beers on tap and 50 different varieties of bottled beer), the food is so spectacular that it’s a far cry from your normal bar fare. The night we went was chilly, but we did take a look at the beer garden outside and can’t wait for a warm summer evening to hang out there and sample different beers from their large selection.

The first time we went we sat at the bar and the bartender was very knowledgeable about both the food menu and the beer selection.  The menu consists of appetizers, salads, burgers and sandwiches, but as we soon discovered they weren’t your typical greasy, quick-and-easy grub you’d get at some other bars and restaurants.  With some helpful advice from the bartender, we each ordered a beer (yum) and I had a Steak and Blue Cheese salad (baby spinach, marinated & grilled flank with red onion, red pepper & blue cheese crumbles and balsamic vinaigrette, with roasted mushrooms and walnuts), while my husband ordered the special of the day which was a pasta dish with shrimp and scallops.  While I’m not one for ordering a salad for my entrée, the dish description sounded good so I decided to give it a try.  I’m typically a steak snob (filet mignon only, please) so I was concerned that the flank steak that came in my salad would be tough, but I couldn’t have been more wrong.  It was some of the most flavorful, tender meat I’ve ever had and could definitely beat out some of the filet mignon I’ve had at other restaurants. My husband LOVED his pasta dish. Seriously, we considered skipping our plans to see a movie afterward so that he could order a second portion!



Our experience was so positive at Martin City Brewing Company, that when it was my turn to choose a restaurant for our monthly girls’ night dinner club, the choice was simple.  So, in early March I returned with friends so they could experience the great food, atmosphere and friendly service that make this place such a great find.  Our server was very helpful in helping us choose our beers and wine, and the overall service was fantastic.  We started with some Traditional Bruchetta (crostini topped with diced tomatoes, basil, and garlic, and garnished with herb balsamic vinaigrette & parmesan cheese), which was delicious.  I had told everyone about how good the salad was that I had on my first visit, and some tried salads of their own.  I decided to try one of their sandwiches, but had been so impressed with the flank steak in the salad on my first visit, that I went with the Steak and Blue Cheese sandwich (marinated flank steak, red pepper, baby spinach & red onion with a horseradish cream sauce and blue cheese on a toasted ciabatta roll). Once again, the flank steak was delicious, and everyone at the table thoroughly enjoyed their entrées. 

With the average price of an entrée at about $10, the prices at Martin City Brewing Company are very reasonable - especially given the quality and quantity of the food given.  They have daily drink specials (check out their website for details), and live music on Fridays and Saturdays on the patio.  I can’t wait to go back and enjoy some great food, beer, exceptional service and wonderful atmosphere – hopefully on a beautiful night on the patio!



No comments:

Post a Comment