Tuesday, May 8, 2012

There Are No Words

A devastating thing happened late last week, and I cannot get it out of my mind. The grief I have experienced for this family can only be the tiniest fraction of what they are feeling. I will not go into great detail, because I can't bear to. I just wanted to share this article that will break your heart, but will also remind you to slow down so that this can never happen to you. I know there are a lot of people out there that cannot fathom accidentally leaving a baby in a car when they went into work, only to find their precious child lifeless at the end of the day. Typing the words, it's hard for me to imagine. But it happens 600 times a year. And it just happened to a mother, just like you and me. And to a family, just like yours and mine. People are crucifying the mother in comments on Facebook and the online news articles. I pray that this family never reads these words. The pain they will face for the rest of their lives is enough for anyone to bear.

This article is very long, and very sad. I hope that after reading it, however, you make a change in your daily routine to ensure this could never happen to you. Make a plan with your daycare provider to call you by a set time - 9 AM? - if you have not dropped your child off at daycare. With the American Academy of Pediatrics' (www.aap.com) recommendation of rear facing car seats until age 2, I have a terrible feeling that this number is only going to climb unless something can be done to alarm parents if they are leaving a child unattended.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/27/AR2009022701549.html

Hug and kiss your babies today, and hold them extra tight.

Rest in Peace, Baby H

No comments:

Post a Comment